Saturday, October 07, 2006

Dvorak surprised Hawaii has computers


After a long day of conk blowing and virgin sacrificing up on the volcano, I came across this post from noted tech columnist John C. Dvorak after he heard I'd compared him in a column to Stattler, the famous Muppet curmudgeon who heckled acts from the balcony with his partner-in-crime Waldorf:

"This takes the cake for off-handed compliment/insults. Curt 'Digital Slob' Brandao writing in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin says I look like the Muppet Show character Stattler. I was shocked when I read this. I had no idea they used computers in Hawaii."


A nice little jab back from Dvorak, since whatever admiration I have for him -- considerable, he knows more tech stuff than I do and can bore normal people at 10 times my top speed -- was probably deeply cloaked in my apt comparison -- but come on, you don't have to go after the entire Aloha State ;-). We've got quite a tech industry here, actually.

Truth is, I am a Dvorak fan. Here's the link to what I had to say about his "Cranky Geeks" video podcast. It's generally positive, I think, though, admittedly, something gets lost when it's translated from its original hula.

Yes, John, Hawaii has computers -- it's amazing what you can make out of coconuts.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
In the midst of a successful, albeit difficult to Google, 12-year professional career as a newsroom manager for a slew of daily newspapers, Curt decided it was time to siphon back some of the creative spotlight, and "wow" readers with his deft improvisational typing. "Digital Slob" debuted in 2002.

Digital Slob twitters